MAWI DNA Technologies (Hayward, California) revolutionized the collection of biological samples. They developed the iSWAB™ device which enables swab-based non-invasive sample collection and mechanistic release of cells to a stabilization buffer in a concentrated manner. Swabs are discarded right after collection and do need to be included when shipping the sample.
Specimens are preserved in the sample type-specific iSWAB buffer for shipment and storage at room temperature:
- Microbiome: Oral, Fecal, Skin, Vaginal, and Soil Samples
- Viral RNA: COVID-19 Naso/Oropharyngeal Test Samples
- Animal and Human DNA Collection including forensic applications
- Total RNA Collection and Preservation
- Protein/DNA Sample Collection
- Collection and Preservation of Intact Viable Cells
- Blood Drop Collection and Preservation
See here for publications and articles about MAWI´s iSWAB technology.